You’ve struggled with your weight and body image for years and your relationship with food is filled with guilt and anxiety.
Enough is enough: there has to be an easier way…
Does this sound like you?
- You struggle with your weight – You have the best intentions to manage your weight but unwanted food habits, emotional eating and uncontrollable cravings always knock you off-course.
- You battle with your body image – You can’t accept your body as it is. You’re ashamed when you look in the mirror and pick fault with what you see.
- You’re anxious about food – Food and eating is a nutritional minefield so you have a complicated set of food rules and a restrictive diet in place. You force yourself to eat only the ‘safe foods’ yet with the temptation of ‘forbidden foods’ on your mind, you worry about losing control.
- You obsess over the numbers – You count points, calories or grams of carbs/fat and monitor your weight on the scales. You check the numbers to see if you can ‘afford’ to eat and limit food when you’ve had a ‘bad day’.
- You’re a veteran of countless diets – You try every new diet thinking ‘this will be the one that works’ only to lose momentum after a promising start and eventually put the weight back on. You’re trapped in an endless cycle of deprivation, hope, failure and guilt. With each diet you end up blaming yourself and your self-esteem takes a beating.
I can help. I am a professionally trained and qualified coach with a personal interest in mindfulness and Mindful Eating. Mindful Eating helped me to find the ‘middle way’ with food, eating and body image and I would love to help you do the same.
I believe you are the expert in your own unique challenges: everything you need to reconnect with the wisdom of your body and rediscover a balanced, peaceful relationship with food and eating is already within you.
The Mindful Eating programme
The Mindful Eating programme is not a diet: there are no rules or restrictions and the goal is not necessarily weight loss. What you eat is only half the story. The other half is why and how you eat. Together, we approach Mindful Eating with a combination of curiosity and compassion, investigating the different types of hunger that compel us to eat, exploring the sensations of hunger and fullness, and understanding the causes of unwanted food habits and emotional eating. The Mindful Eating programme will help you to:
- Heal your relationship with food and rediscover the easy pleasure in eating that is your birthright as a human being.
- Replace anxiety and rigid control with respect for the truth of your inner wisdom and what your body is telling you.
- Unleash the shackles of dieting, unwanted food habits, emotional eating and cravings to find freedom, balance and peace with food.
- Love and accept your body for the amazing creation it is and learn how to nurture yourself with kindness.
- Explore your unique challenges within a safe environment free from judgement and blame. I offer a warm and positive coaching relationship to support you with every step of your Mindful Eating journey.
“Emma exudes warmth and sensitivity: she put me naturally at ease in our sessions and encouraged me to talk things out in a safe space. Through a balance of careful listening and questioning she helped me identify and prioritise what is important to me and come up with actions to make positive change. As a result of her coaching, I have moved from feeling stuck to feeling empowered.”
Jenny, Yorkshire UK
Mindful Eating coaching tailored to your needs
Before we start working together, I ask you to complete a short questionnaire about your struggles with food, eating and body image. Your answers help me tailor the sessions to your unique challenges and together we decide how to structure the programme to focus on your individual needs. Here’s what we could cover in the Mindful Eating programme:
An introduction into Mindful Eating
With a mindset of curiosity and compassion, we do our first Mindful Eating practice together and ask ‘who’s hungry in there?’ This question is the backbone of the Mindful Eating programme and reminds you to connect with the wisdom of your body to find the answer.
The Eight Hungers
Babies and young children have an intuitive sense of what and how much to eat. As we get older, the hunger and eating of childhood becomes tangled up in thoughts and emotions. In this session, we introduce the Eight Hungers, learn how to untangle the different experiences of hunger and discover how to satisfy them without food.
Exploring hunger, fullness and satisfaction
If we listened to our body’s signs of hunger, eating would be simple. However, for most people with an unbalanced relationship to food, the physical sensations of hunger and fullness have been lost. Mindful Eating enables us to trust our bodies, honour our hunger, rediscover satisfaction and feel our fullness.
Becoming aware of food habits
We take a light-hearted look at the food habits you learned as a child that have carried over into adulthood, as well as the rules you have made up around food and eating. Mindful Eating shines the spotlight of awareness on our food habits so we can awaken from the auto-pilot, clearly see our blind spots and break free from the hold they have on us.
Mind hunger and the Inner Critics
Mind hunger is based on your thoughts: the ‘shoulds’ and ‘should nots’ of food and eating. Through Mindful Eating, we become aware of the inner voices that can lead to anxiety and self-sabotage. We restore balance by acknowledging, yet ultimately ignoring, mind hunger while allowing the deeper wisdom of our bodies to guide us.
Emotional eating and heart hunger
While most of us have foods that we associate with love, comfort and special family occasions, we may continue to eat these foods to fill a hole, not in our stomachs, but in our hearts. We explore emotional eating and heart hunger to learn how to nurture ourselves without food.
Dealing with cravings and food addiction
Unlike other things we might struggle with such as alcohol or cigarettes, we can’t just cut food out of our lives. However, foods high in sugar, salt and fat are often the focus of cravings and food addiction. In this session, we learn Mindful Eating practices to observe the constant stream of desires in the mind and learn how to manage cravings when they threaten to overwhelm us.
Cultivating acceptance and gratitude for the body
We focus on healing the negative relationship with our bodies through the positive energy of gratitude and loving kindness. We complete the Mindful Eating programme by celebrating all you have learned about yourself and your relationship with food, eating and body. We acknowledge the steps you have taken to establish a sense of balance around food and honour how far you have come.
“Coaching with Emma gave me awareness, clarity and the opportunity to develop my thinking. Emma helped me to explore different perspectives, which was fascinating, and I realised that my default approach wasn’t necessarily the best! Emma is warm, encouraging and supportive – she made it felt safe to open up about the important things – and I really enjoyed our sessions.”
Anny, Dorset UK
The Mindful Eating programme comprises:
- 8 x 90 minute one-to-one coaching sessions that take place either weekly or fortnightly.
- Because Mindful Eating is based on your unique experience and insights in between sessions, there is homework to help you deepen your learning.
- Email or text support in between coaching sessions as needed.
- I coach face-to-face at my home office in Bournemouth, via the Zoom video-conferencing platform or over the phone – the choice is yours.
||Investment in your future: £720
This special offer is only available during January and February 2019.
The programme can be paid on a monthly basis: if we had two coaching sessions per month, you would be invoiced just £180 per month.
Mindful Eating Mastery sessions
Once you have completed the Mindful Eating programme, it doesn’t have to end there! Because there are many opportunities to eat and drink every day, Mindful Eating is a life-long journey and you may experience some detours and bumps in the road. If you would like further support, you are welcome to book a Mindful Eating Mastery session to help you get back on track.
“Emma’s coaching is instinctive. She’ll make an observation that is absolutely spot on and it was often only after the session had finished that I would realise how important it was. She’s empathetic, warm and funny, while also comfortable to challenge me and hold me to account – which is exactly what I needed.”
Lisa, Surrey UK
Please do get in touch for a no-obligation chat about how Mindful Eating can help you rediscover a balanced and peaceful relationship
with food, eating and body.
Call 07771 852650 or email email@example.com
The Mindful Eating programme is not designed to treat clinical eating disorders such as anorexia nervosa, bulimia or binge-eating disorder. If you suspect you have a clinical eating disorder, please visit your GP and seek help from a specialist medical professional. You can also talk to an adviser from the Beat Eating Disorders charity.